martes, 26 de noviembre de 2013

Poems of Shyqri Galica (Kosovo) in English


IMMORTALITY

(To Jusuf Gërvalla)

(A PROBABLE PREY OF STORMS)
Tonight
I wanted
To begin my diary
I thought –
It may gather dust
And
I feared –
Storms may eat it up.
I wrote it.
I read it.
I tore it.
I said –
We are in winter
And
Storms may eat it up…

(WHEN YOU AND I WOULD MEET…)
You would speak
Of suns
You would speak
Of rays
Always
You would speak
Like that.
But
Above all
You would speak
Of our LANDS…

(WHEN YOU AND I WOULD TRAVEL TOGETHER…)
The road
So rough,
You would say.
I would watch you.
You would ask me –
What’s your opinion?
How does the road seem to you?
Beautiful,
I would reply.
The road
So beautiful,
You would repeat…

(WHEN YOU AND I WOULD WORK TOGETHER AT NOON…)
Everyday
At
Noon
You and I would meet.
You and I would work.
Sometimes you would come
Feeling tired
Sometimes
You would come
Leaving behind a sleepless night
You would come
With reddened eyes,
And you would say –
Sparks are tearing darkness apart,
Have you noticed that?
There were sparks
On each coming morrow
Dressing the ‘LIBERTY’ street
In read and black clothes…

(WHEN YOU AND I WOULD PART TO MEET AGAIN…)
You and I would part
To meet
Again.
We would greet each other
A little tired though.
And you and I would part
To meet again
On the morrow.
You would tell me
People say –
“A new day is…”
And I would finish the phrase –
‘…A new hope.”
Smiling
At each other
You and I would part
To stand united
Again
Come what may…

(HE IS IMMORTAL…)
I know not
Who brought me the news!
He –
Is he still alive…?!
(I ignored it.)
I thought –
Isn’t that too early?!
I paused
For a while, then I went on –
He cannot extinguish!
YES,
HE IS IMMORTAL…!
I spoke up.


English translation by Ukë ZENEL Buçpapaj


No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario